Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some Thoughts on the Wall of Strawberries

  In reading the posting on the wall of strawberries I realized I didn't tell about the construction of the baskets.
Lining the baskets is thin cork. I found a roll of it at my local recycling store for $6. I think it's cork flooring and is thin. I cut out 3 pieces, with scissors, for each basket and lined each basket with it, then dropped in the plastic bag, poked a couple holes and added potting soil. I added polymer crystals,( soaked in diluted compost tea), to the soil before adding. The crystals keep the soil from drying out too much on a hot day. I have been watering them every 2-3 days, depending on the weather. More often on the hot days.

Here is the bottom of the basket. I cut one piece of cork that went from front to back.
The end piece of cork . The squirrels chewed on a few of these.

Daisies coming up with the strawberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment