Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mini Greenhouse/ Glass House Art Piece


This is a unique Mini Greenhouse with a cute peaked roof! I made this entire greenhouse from old windows that are nearly 70 yrs old! They came from a house in Wyoming, which was built in 1942, and these are the original windows!

This fun, art piece has antique tongue and groove floor, which has been screwed to a heavy frame with a redwood strip between the windows and frame, with weep holes at the back. The windows are screwed together and have a redwood strip at the top edge. One window serves as a door, which swings freely after unlatching the antique window latch that serves as a lock, (it's a latch that I removed from these same windows). I painted it with an outdoor paint, in white.
The handle is an easy to grab, old fashioned style that I couldn't resist. It reminds me of some of my Grandma's furniture.

Can you imagine this on your covered porch with some delicate plants peeking at you through that old glass? Maybe orchids? Some vegetable starts? A show off plant? This is the perfect addition to your sun room, or out in the garden or by the pool. This would draw attention as a display in a store or at a bed and breakfast. It would look beautiful anywhere and really makes a statement.

6'8" tall
27" wide
31" deep




This is one of my favorite projects! I bought 42 old windows from a guy off of craigslist.  I've been busy dreaming up projects to use them up.
You can see it on my etsy page in more detail;   http://www.etsy.com/shop/JodysReCreations

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the cold frame design and all the helpful ideas that go with it. Your plan has been downloaded and I am hoping to get something put together this summer....we'll see how it goes.

    You have some wonderful garden ideas and advice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete